Sunday, March 8, 2015

Celebrating International Women's Day....with women artists

Petah Coyne, Untitled #781, 1994
As I woke up this morning, made myself some coffee, realized I lost an hour from my day and checked Facebook, I became aware that it is International Women's Day.  I immediately turned on the television in an anticipation of a parade, but none to be found.  This made me go hmm.  I thought to myself, we celebrate a jolly ol' man with a white beard, but not someone that is actually real.  

hm.

So, here is my parade celebrating International Women's Day through art.  It's not all.
It's not even most.
But, just a few.

Untitled Film Still 3 (1977). Photograph: Cindy Sherman

Louise Bourgeois, 1911-2010. Photographed 28 February 1992. Sculpture, installation art and painting

Yayoi Kusama: one of few women to have had a major retrospective at Tate Modern.
Georgia O'Keeffe in 1918

Self-Portrait as a Lute Player, 1615–1617
Frida Kahlo
Joan Mitchell
Florence Henri -Portrait of Sonia Delaunay, Paris, 1931
Pained Madonna painted by Plautilla Nelli.
Edmonia Lewis, sculptor
Kathy Kollwitz
Faith Ringgold
Barbara Kruger, Conceptual Artist
http://artbookscreativity.org/curriculum/

I think the last one is my favorite:)
These are just a few from a list of thousands. As I was researching and browsing, I came across an excellent resource from the National Museum of Women in the Arts to use in the classroom. 
A big "Thank You" to these artists who mark the path for others.

xoxo, SMocK you.

No comments:

Post a Comment